Manchester Airport Terminal 2
Terminal 2 Information
Manchester Airport Terminal 2 is utilized by a wide array of airlines, running both charter and scheduled flights to various European and worldwide desinations. It launched in 1993 and it is a base for Monarch, Thomson Airways and Virgin Atlantic. Various other airlines that utilize the terminal include Air Malta, Qatar Airways, Tunisair, United Airlines and US Airways.
Terminal 2 has twenty gates, of which fourteen have air bridges. The layout of the terminal helps to make it competent of large-scale enlargement; planning authorization currently prevails for an expansion providing extra gates, assembled with the development of a satellite pier. Terminal 2's existing capability is around eight million flyers a year, this will be made bigger to essentially handle twenty-five million flyers a year. In 2007, an £11 million project began to develop Terminal 2 by upgrading security facilities and improving shopping and catering services. This has resulted in the removal of the land-side retail zone to allow for an enlarged air-side departure lounge. The ground level arrivals zone has also been redeveloped with modified catering and shopping facilities. Preceding the 2007 smoking ban, the indoor aired smoking room in the departure lounge was shut, nevertheless this was swapped in 2009 by an outside smoking area at Gate 300 to allow passengers to smoke after transferring through security. The departure lounge also has an unattended children's play area at Gate 212. Terminal 2's new upper-level security zone launched during July 2008 and the whole terminal renovation completed during autumn 2009.
Manchester Airport Terminal 2 Facilities
Terminal 2 Departures
- Bureau de Change: One in the departures concourse before security. The Travelex Bureau de Change is located next to Millies Cookies to the right of security control.
- Cash Dispensers: Link, NatWest and Royal Bank of Scotland near Bureau de Change provide facilities for most cards.
- Entertainment: Video games are available before Security Control.
- Internet: Passengers can gain wireless access to the internet via their laptop or PDA from cafés and seating areas across all three terminals. It also provides free access to the Manchester Airport website.
- Places of Worship: Open 24 hours a day they provide a place for quiet contemplation and prayer. The Prayer Room in Terminal 2 is located on the departures concourse before security.
- Luggage Trolleys: Plentiful and free. Not immediately obvious, they are available just inside the terminal entry doors in the 'atrium'. Trolleys can sometimes be found in the Short Term car park but it tends to be pot luck.
- Pay Phones: In various areas.
- Postal Services: Mail box only. The nearest Post Office is in Terminal 1 International Arrivals.
- Restaurants & Bars: Meals, snacks and drinks available. Turn left in concourse for main catering area and bar.
- Toilets: With disabled facilities and a baby care room, entrance beside Bureau de Change.
Terminal 2 Arrivals
- Bureau de Change: Travelex Bureau de Change in central area near the left luggage area.
- Car Hire: All major companies located on ground floor of car park.
- Cash Dispensers: Abbey Link and Lloyds near the Bureau de Change accept most cards.
- Food and Drink: A choice of self service restaurant and nearby bar.
- Hotel Reservations: Tourist Information Centre.
- Information Desk: In main hall, friendly staff. Also blue information telephones opposite the desk. There is a separate tourist information desk, but no hotels booking desk. Nearest is in Terminal 1.
- Left Luggage: Baggage may be deposited at the discretion of the attendant. +44 (0)161 489 6031
- Lost and Found: A small charge is made for this service. +44 (0)161 489 6031
- Luggage Trolleys: In Baggage Reclaim.
- Train: Rail station access is via the Skylink bridge which also connects with Terminal 1. The exit to the bridge is near the catering area. Moving walkways ease the strain but it is still a long hike.
- Pay Phones: In Baggage Reclaim and main Arrivals hall. Phones for hard of hearing in both locations.
- Postal Services: Mail box opposite Information desk.
- Shopping: There is a newsagent / bookstore.
- Smoking: Smoking areas are available outside all three terminal buildings and are clearly signposted.
- Toilets: Facilities in Baggage Reclaim and Arrivals Hall with disabled and baby care provision. Access to baby care for both parents.
Terminal 2 Airside
- Bureau de Change: Currency Exchange Bureau de Change is available just after security.
- Information Desk: No desk but blue phones provide a link to the information desk in Arrivals.
- Shopping: A limited selection of outlets.
- Food and Drink: The main catering outlets are on the left after entering lounge.
- Pay Phones: Various areas, phones for hearing aids in middle of lounge.
- Postal Services: Post box after Security Control.
- Toilets: At both ends of lounge, each with disabled and baby change facilities.